The Language Academy initially known as the Department of Modern Language was established in April 2010 at the Johor Bahru Campus and UTM International Campus, Kuala Lumpur. The Academy offers courses to meet the language and communicative needs of UTM students, the public and working professional. Various services and facilities are available at the academy such as academic language courses, foreign languages, professional communication and training programmes, IELTS testing and training. Digital Language Labs, MyLinE (online resources for learning in English), Japanese-Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) and Test of English Communication Skills for Graduating Students (TECS).
- To be recognised as a renowned language and communication centre.
- To contribute to the advancement of research in the field of language and communication.
- To develop skillful and knowledgeable professionals in the field of language and communication who will contribute to national development.
- To produce communicatively competent professionals through the provision of language and communication service and training.
- Contribute to human capital development by providing quality services and training in language and communication.
- Provide leadership and contribution through research and innovation in language and communication studies.
- Achieve reputable image through research and the provision of services and training in the field of language and communication.
- Contribute to society through community-based language and communication based.